Monthly Archives: October 2011
While I was doing the porting, I have found SWIG, a very useful tool for Lua integration. Actually it supports so many other languages and interfaces, but I was interested only in game scripting so far.
Why scripting? Scripting is an important feature of a typical game engine, and Merlin3D is not an exception. Prototyping, game and GUI coding is much more easy if I do not have to recompile the whole game engine or DLL. With SWIG adding scripting to the engine is quite easy, so it seemed to worth a try.
Read the rest of this entry
Several weeks ago I have taken over a small C project from my colleague. This project was almost totally unrelated to computer graphics or game development, and it was cancelled later, but it ran on Linux, so I had to install Linux on my computer. Aside from the compatibility problems of different Ubuntu releases with my old ATI card, and not counting the six fruitless attempts to get a working Linux on my machine, it was a pleasant task for me because it recalled some old memories about the early days of the engine development. The engine coding was started on Linux originally, but I am developing it under Windows for long time.
So the project gave me the idea to port my game engine from Windows back to Linux again, or at least to see that whether it still compiled. So I copied the Makefile from the old Linux version and the sources from the Windows version, fired up Emacs, my old favorite editor, and started to wrestle with the compiler… 🙂 Read the rest of this entry
I only do not have enough time to deal with the engine because I am snowed under with things like work and preparation for my language exam. I have started to port the engine back to Linux few weeks ago, but I could not finished it yet, because it costs much more time than I have now. But hopefully there is only one week remaining from this crunch time, then I can continue the engine.
Till then, I have made some improvements on the blog’s look, I hope you will like it. 🙂